[Wien] optimization/minimization

Jeff Spirko spirko at lehigh.edu
Tue Feb 22 16:10:43 CET 2005

Travis,

If you just run min_lapw with no options, the default job sets force
convergence, so there should be no problem.  (Run "min_lapw -h" to
see the default job.)

If you set your own job with 'min_lapw -j "runsp_lapw ..."', it is
important during a minimization that the full forces be calculated.
This requires FOR to be set at the beginning of case.in2[c] for at
least the last iteration.  To get this, there are several options:

1.  Set FOR yourself for the entire cycle.  This will make the
    calculation take longer in the lapw2 step, but you can just use
    -ec.
2.  Run to energy convergence with TOT set in case.in2[c], set FOR,
    then run one more iteration.  One way of doing this is to set
    your job in minimization to "runsp -I -ec x ; runsp -fc y".
3.  Use -fc.  This automatically sets FOR for the last iteration
    only.

Best Regards,
-Jeff Spirko