Big Calculations (was [Wien] Allocation error 494)

L. D. Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Tue Feb 22 21:28:28 CET 2005

I can only give a partial answer, and I have not had time to really get to
grips with it. I've never used mpi before so these might be trivial
problems which I should find the answer for. So far, Several issues:

a) mpirun not being found -- probably requres /opt/mpich/intel/bin (or gnu
version?) to be defined in .bashrc and/or .cshrc. There might be some
issues in exporting of variables since Wien is csh based and the available
mpirun scripts I have are bash based.

b) machines not being found. There are probably some configuration files
that need to be setup correctly and, at least in my first attempts, it was
defaulting to a p4 procgroup (-p4pg) rather than using machines. (Probably
an issue with how mpirun is called in lapwXpara.)

c) /opt/mpich/intel/share not being correctly propogated to all nodes (mpi
configuration issues).

d) A Sigsev on one node, source unknown. Probably related to incorrect mpi
configuration although it might be within lapw1_mpi.

If anyone has worked out configuring mpi on an Intel system it might be
useful to post some information to the list.

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Fred Nastos wrote:

> I heard back from the group I helped compile the code, and they
> too have problems with the mpi runs.  As far as I know the code
> compiles cleanly, but fails on execution (sorry, I have no more info).
>
> Can you tell us the problem you encountered?
>
> Thanks.
>
> > N.B., this would be for calculations which even with RKMAX=4.5 are taking
> > about 1.5G so an adequate calculation would be >> 2G.
> >
> > N.N.B., it might be necessary to modify lapw1 to stick some of the huge
> > arrays on disk, e.g. using mmap calls.
> >
> > On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Michael Gurnett wrote:
> > > As far as I know, unless your running on a 64 bit machine, the most the
> > > operating system can allocate in a single chunk is 2GB.
> > >
> > > Michael

Laurence Marks