[Wien] RKMAX and k-mesh

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at fys.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed Feb 23 10:44:49 CET 2005

With some delay, my contribution to this question:

Do not use the bcc-Fe example as given in the LAPW tutorial as a regular
procedure, this was just a didactical example. You can NEVER converge total
energies with respect to RKmax, as the variational principle tells you that
the total energy will always go down if you increase RKmax. If you search
for the point where the total energy goes up again (which is against the
variational principle) then you determine the basis set size for which you
start to run in overcompleteness problems (and that's usually starting from
a value of 10 onwards).

If you want to determine the best RKmax for your case, do not monitor the
total energy but monitor an observable property (:MMI, :EFG, :RTO, :HFF,
...). Observable properties will converge with respect to RKmax (they do not
follow a variational principle). Usually, you will find something in the 6-8
range, much lower than your 10.5.

With respect to the k-mesh question: both RKmax and k-mesh determine the
accuracy. In principle, you should scan both simultaneously, as you never
know which of them is really responsible for not reaching convergence yet.
In practice, take a reasonable k-mesh, determine the best RKmax, and then
vary at fixed RKmax the k-mesh in order to find the best value. Or the other
way around.

Stefaan