[Wien] wien2k_04, ifort 8.1, mkl 7.0 on suse 9.1

Gerhard H Fecher fecher at uni-mainz.de
Fri Feb 25 12:43:11 CET 2005

Yes I succeded, but not on every computer.

It worked on my laptop (PII 650MHz, 256 MB) running a freshly installed SUSE
Linux 9.1, I did not succeed on a desktop (P IV 3 GHz, 1.5 MB) running an
updated Version of SUSE 9.1 (from 8.x to 9.0 and finally to 9.1). In the
latter case not only Wien2K was crashing with the same symptoms you have, but
other programs, too.

Actually I do some changes to SUSE 9.2 starting installation from scratch (do
not use update but a new installation). It seems that some programs are
running now ok, but I had not yet time to check the latest Version of Wien.

In case you have everything installed natively, did you use dynamic linking ?
static linking causes troubles with large arrays.
All arrays have to stay smaller than 2.1GB, otherwise the program crashes.
Statically linked programs seem also too crash at a certain overall amount of
large arrays, even if they stay smaller than 2.1GB.
But, don't believe the error messages, they are wrong, even the intel debugger
fails to find the problem. I have seen that in some cases variables are just
not passed to subroutines (or with value 0) what often causes an error
message as the subroutine tries to acess the array element a(0), however, if
if a(0) is within the allowed dimension, than the program calculates trash
and you will receive at a complete different place of the program some error
message, most probably caused by NANs or division by Zeroes.

It seems that there are incompatibilities with some libraries. First the mkl
7.0 libraries are not really compatible to the ones coming with ifort 8.1, I
recommend you may use mkl 7.2. This does not prevent incompatibilities with
older libraries from glibc that depend on the version of youre Linux
distribution.

Actually I use:
ifort 8.1.021
mkl 7.2.008
check to have the latest small version, Intel does not provide updates for the
evaluation versions, so you have to reload the complete packages.

Hope it will help,
Ciao Gerhard