[Wien] A question on minimization of positions.

Torsten Andersen thor at physik.uni-kl.de
Sun Jan 2 13:45:09 CET 2005

Well, if it only was that easy :-)

The answer is in principle easy enough... infinitely many... the task
you face is then to approximate infinity. The k-points is a parameter
used for integrations in three dimensions (also called k-sum).

Some systems are easy, but others (like simple metals) may require huge
numbers of k-points and big cutoff parameters for the calculation to
converged towards something meaningful.

I would suggest that you start with a few, then increase the number
until you feel certain that your result is meaningful. Just because it
comes out of a computer programme that 1000's of people are using
doesn't mean that you should accept the output without checking that
what you get makes sense.

Oh, and remember to leave enough space between the spheres...

Best regards,
Torsten Andersen.

--
Dr. Torsten Andersen        TA-web: http://deep.at/myspace/
AG Hübner, Department of Physics, Kaiserslautern University

Symposium on Excited-state properties of solids, Mannheim 2005:
See: http://cmt.physik.uni-kl.de/XSM05/