[Wien] AFM calculation

thomas.mazet Thomas.Mazet at lcsm.uhp-nancy.fr
Fri Jan 14 16:06:24 CET 2005

Dear Sir,

About your second question concerning the non-zero magnetic moment on Bi
and O atoms (I have not verify the details of your input files) : it is
normal that in magnetic compounds (even in antiferromagnets) nominally
'diamagnetic' atoms possess a low magnetic moment : it is induced by
spin-dependent chemical bonds with the magnetic atoms (like iron). You can
think in terms of molecular fields : if the magnetic configuration of the
neighboring iron moments around Bi or O is such that it leads to a
non-zero molecular field at Bi or O (to be verified), a small magnetic
moment is expected on Bi ot O. These small magnetic moments on
nominally non-magnetic atoms are responsible for the hyperfine fields
at their nucleus you can measure using several experimental
techniques like RMN, Mössbauer ... There are
a lot of papers from the seventies, eighties and nineties describing
this spin-dependent chemical bond  whose authors are Williams, Kubler,
Johansson, Brooks, Kanamori, Akai ....
I hope it helps you.

Regards,

Thomas