[Wien] Calculation of core-hole spectra

Jorissen Kevin Kevin.Jorissen at ua.ac.be
Fri Jan 14 14:49:35 CET 2005

Rebecca,

I think you can see it this way :

a 'core-hole calculation' is sometimes also called a 'final state approximation'.  The extra electron that you put into case.in2 (== lowest unoccupied state of the ground state), is more or less the electron after the transition.
The orbital that it occupies, is one that should be available for the transition.

Your proposed approach :
* << run_lapw >> calculates eigenstates in the final state approximation (one extra electron in case.in2)
* << x lapw2 -qtl >>> but only fills them with as many electrons as in ground state (without extra electron)
* << x telnes >> so that transitions (which are calculated only for states above the Fermi level, so unoccupied states) will include that to the lowest unoccupied state where you'd initially put an excited (final state) electron.

If you use the background charge (.inm), you don't have to bother about all that, of course.

Kevin Jorissen

EMAT - Electron Microscopy for Materials Science   (http://webhost.ua.ac.be/emat/)
Dept. of Physics

UA - Universiteit Antwerpen