[Wien] EELS of L3 Ti edge

Jorissen Kevin Kevin.Jorissen at ua.ac.be
Fri Jan 14 23:22:07 CET 2005

There is probably no explanation as to why LDA works.

As for the multiplet mentioned in this message and one of the follow-ups, it has indeed remarkable advantages.

Wien looks at the full, complicated electronic structure of the crystal - but only in a 'simple' way (ground state LDA or GGA, say).  Multiplet programs like the code of Frank de Groot look at a very basic structure (basically an atom, and one or two crystal field parameters, I believe) - but in a more complex way, taking the multiplets into account (the multiplets get the branching ratio right, and that makes the Ti L edge of TiO wonderful since there is not much to say about it except for the branching ratio ;-)).  Yet this seemingly simple approach has proven to yield a lot of useful results.

tddft/bse applications may help us in the next years to remedy the shortcomings of current dft+lda elnes calculations (eg., inclusion of tdlda in feff has enabled them to get branching ratios quite close to experiment).

Kevin Jorissen

EMAT - Electron Microscopy for Materials Science   (http://webhost.ua.ac.be/emat/)
Dept. of Physics

UA - Universiteit Antwerpen