[Wien] Si vacancy

fabella wfabella at niu.edu
Wed Jan 19 02:52:53 CET 2005

Hello,

I have completed calculations of the neutral Si vacancy in Si.

I have results for both the ideal (w/o vacancy), not relaxed, and
relaxed.  The cohesive energies are good (580Ry/Si atom), energy and
force convergence good.

But while comparing (with literature) the DOS for both not
relaxed/relaxed cases are slightly different.  For example, we'd expect
A1 and T2 symmetry (after relaxation?), there respected peaks show in
the DOS.  In my calculation of the not relaxed case it appears that the
initial degeneracy is already lifted (A1 and T2) and are deep centers.
In addition, it appears that in the relaxed case the peak at about -8
eV (belonging to A1) disappears (present in not relaxed case and
literature), while there remain states in the gap, but are shifted
toward the valence band.

Is there something special about the basis that Wien2k is using for
this vacancy calculation?  The plane waves are represented about this
local "isolated" defect, does it prematurely form bonds within the
vacancy (not relaxed case)? and therefore in relaxation the DOS is just
shifted?

Has anyone calculated the Silicon Vacancy or have had similar issues to
deal with in a typical Vacancy problem?  Any information would be
helpful...

Thank You

Wesley J. Fabella