[Wien] About the machines file for mpi

Peter Blaha pblaha at zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Jan 22 08:02:58 CET 2005

Yes, your .machines file means you are running lapw0 on those two machines
in paralllel and then distribute the k-points into two sets, and each
k-point is calculated on two machnies in mpi-parallel mode.
Of course your .machines file does NOT make sense.
You should first try to distribute the k-points (because this is very
efficient) and you should not use the same machines for k-point AND
mpi-parallel mode (your example runs 2 lapw1_mpi jobs on each of those
machines).

PS: I think the description of the .machines file is pretty exhausting in
the UG and shows almost all possible combinations of cluster and shared
memory machines.