[Wien] Orbital angular momentum at Fermi surface

fecher fecher at mail.uni-mainz.de
Wed Jan 26 16:45:15 CET 2005

Dear Matsui,
Seems you forgot somehow the dipole selection rules for photoemission.
You see most probably how the final state is alligned after photoexcitation
assuming you performed angular resolved photoemission.

As a simple example: If you excite an s electron (spherical) with linearly
polarized photons then youre final state is a p-electron aligned along the
axis of the electric field vector. As px, py and pz are equally distributed
in the final state band of the fcc lattice, you see just the allignment of
youre polarization, that selects which partial wave it likes to have.

If youre initial state is the p-state with spherical distribution, then youre
possible final state is composed of an spherical part (s final state, p-s
transition, l'=l-1) and / or a nonspherical part (d final state, p-d
transition, l'=l+1), and you have to check which transition is allowed from
which initial to what final state band at given photon energy.
In approximation, starting from a free atom, the angular distribution will
depend on the so called angular asymmetry parameter (depending on the final
state energy through the matrix elements and phases). Again you may see just
the alignment of the polarization vector that determines via the selection
rules the final state partial waves. However, now the major intensity may be
either along or perpendicular to that vector more or less with a p-like or
cartwheel-like,  or donath-like shape.
Say youre final state is dz2 and the polarization was z, then the initialstate
was pz from the selection rule m=m' and l'=l+1.

For more details check some work on angular resolved photoemission.

Ciao Gerhard