[Wien] ionic input lstart

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jul 5 08:42:37 CEST 2005

I'm a little "surprised" by this question !

What do you think is the difference between an atom with Z=25 and
"name=Fe++" and another atom with Z=25 and name=Mn (or maybe an atom with
Z=25 and "name=error") ???
Only Z and the electronic configuration enters a quantummechanical
calculation!

TM-cations loose fist their 4s electrons, not their 3d electrons!

lstart is not designed to calculate arbitrary ions. Many of them might be
unstable (negative ons), some might not converge with the fixed
convergence scheme in the code.
In general one saves VERY LITTLE when starting with ionic configurations,
since free ions are quite different from ions in a solid.
However, if you have a magnetic case, you can save a lot by putting the
proper (expected) magnetic moments into case.inst. I.e. change the moment
of the Fe atom (high-spin - low-spin), set the nonmetal moment to zero
(oxygen),.....