[Wien] Representative number for O2 energy

Veronica Ganduglia Pirovano vgp at chemie.hu-berlin.de
Fri Mar 11 18:54:21 CET 2005

L. D. Marks wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Veronica Ganduglia Pirovano wrote:
>

>>I would  do exactly that see PRB 59, 15533 (1999)
>>I suggest an even higher cut off (30 Ry, at least!) for E_a and E_b.
>>I used 24 Ry and I know now that a somewhat larger cutoff gives an even
>>larger
>>number for the atomization energy.  The expected number is approx 3.1
>>eV/atom.
>>O has to be calculated in a NON-cubic box!  to get the right occupation!

I think this is rather standard. You have 4 electrons (p) and three
p-levels.
If the box is symmetric, you will populate 3 levels with electrons 'up'
and the fourth will
result in a 1/3 occupation on each level 'down'.

Instead if the boy is not symmetry, thus breaking the px py pz symmetry
you will
get one level doubly occupied and two single occupied: a triplet.

The O2 molecule has no problem because is not spherical even if
calculated in a cubic box.

There are a few references on the 'non-spherical atoms', I would have to
look. Nevertheless,
you have to take the lowest energy, and what I describe gives the lowest
energy.

To the correction, my way of doing it, is substract the atom you put in,
and compared that
with the 'best' O2 molecule you can calculate, usin in your notation E_b
and E_a, but I recommend
you test the convergency with respect to cutoff ... you will be surprised.

Hope it helps.

e-mail:     vgp at chemie.hu-berlin.de