[WIEN]: Bandgaps calculations

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Nov 9 10:28:24 CET 2005

Of course, the Kohn-Sham eigenvalues are not supposed to be the experimental
measured excitation energies. Nevertheless, many people use them as such.

Experience (and some theoretical considerations as the "discontinuity problem")
has shown, that for insulators/semiconductors the gap comes out about 50 % too
small (and for very small gap semiconductors it may vanish at all); while
for metals the bands (in particular around EF) are pretty good (though not
perfect) in many cases (fermi surfaces, angle resolved photoemission).

Thus I'd expect that for MgB2 the bands agree quite well with PES or FS
measurements.

I would NOT use the Engel-Vosko GGA (option 25) for metals !