[Wien] PLEASE HELP:- Completely flat ELNES!

a s ash279 at hotmail.co.uk
Fri Nov 11 14:01:57 CET 2005

Hello Folks

I am running Wien2K_03 on a Pentium 4 2GHz machine with a Red hat Linux 7.3
operating system.

The purpose of my calculations is to simulate ELNES of graphite with a low
concentration of individual C atoms substitutionally replaced by N atoms.

In order to do this simulation, I have constructed a supercell consisting of
8 atoms, with one C atom replaced with a N atom.  The entire calculation
runs perfectly from start to finish, providing a graphite-like carbon ELNES,
as expected.

When I increase the number of cells in the x, y and z directions in the
supercell program, again, the entire calculation runs perfectly from start
to finish, providing a graphite-like carbon ELNES, as expected.

However, when I increase the number of cells in the x, y and z directions
further, so that the struct file consists of 23 atoms, the resultant ELNES
is completely flat!  I absolutely do not change *any parameters* from the
previous simulations (other than a larger no of atoms in the struct file).

When I examine the telnes file of the flat ELNES, *below 0 eV*, it consists
of the energy followed by 5 columns of zeros,i.e.

-2.5    0     0     0     0     0

*Above 0 eV*, it consists of the energy followed by a row of question marks

This problem is clearly related to number of cells (i.e. the size).  I have
already tried the following things:

1.  I have followed precisely the instructions detailed in the FAQ,
“Converting cases from pre-WIEN2k_03 style to WIEN2k_03 style (supporting
more than 99 atoms/cell)”

2.  I have followed precisely the instructions detailed in the ML, that
allows ELNES to be calculated for big systems, i.e.

I changed in SRC_lapw2/l2main.F :
100   FORMAT('inequivalent atom number',I3,' number ',I2,' total ',I2)
100   FORMAT('inequivalent atom number',I3,' number ',I2,' total ',I3)

I also changed in SRC_telnes/lecture.f :
100  FORMAT(25X,I2,8X,I2,7X,I2)
100  FORMAT(24X,I3,8X,I2,7X,I3)

Please help!

Kindest regards