[Wien] ERRCLR file is not close and parallel-wien stops

L. D. Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Tue Apr 18 14:44:02 CEST 2006

Probably not the reason. There is a delay between when the child node does
an action (or says it will) and when this shows up on the master node;
this is set by nfs/automount/whatever you are running. Your "touch" is
probably forcing the OS to sync the file information by clearing up
nfs action items that are currently buffered in a "to do" list the.

N.B., I like this; it might well be something worth implimenting more
generally to overcome sleepy (even asleep) NFS issues.

N.N.B., check that you are running enough nfs daemons, e.g. ps -uroot |
grep -e nfs. If you only have a few (4-8) increase this. Somewhere there
is info about this, e.g. man -k nfs & nfsstat.

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Alessandro Mirone wrote:

> Hi,
> I was having this problem with lapw1para  on a cluster :
>  the child processes exit but the error file ( seen from the master
> node ) continues to be, during several second, a non empty
> error file. If the check happens before the updating of the file with a null
> content
> the program stops with error althoutght no error is there.
>
> I empirically solved the problem adding a touch *error to the parascript.
> That works greatly, apparently such touch forces an updating
> of the buffers.
> But indeed I think that the real cause is the missing of a close statement
> in errclr
> Regards
>    Alessandro MIRONE

Note: if you have an old email address for me, please note that "nwu" has
been changed to "northwestern".
Laurence Marks
MSE Rm 2036 Cook Hall
2225 N Campus Drive