[Wien] eigenvectors not generated in output1 after runphonon

L. D. Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Thu Feb 23 14:20:05 CET 2006

You really need to do some basic things first before anyone can help you.

a) Did lapw0 run correctly? Have you verified that all the relevant output
files are correctly being created?
b) Have you checked that all the input files are correct?
c) Have you checked the output files (e.g. case.output1) to see where the
code stops?
d) Have you tested with debugging options, in particular -traceback,
and/or with -C and with a lower optimization compilation?
e) Have you run by hand lapw1 -c to see what this gives?

As a general process, you need to track down better where the problem is
first yourself before asking questions on the list.

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, Chandrika wrote:

> Dear Marco,
> I have tried out various options with NUME (1000, 2000, 5000) and with
> NMATMAX (1000, 5000) and various combinations of these but I get the same
> problem (lapw stops after lapw0).
> I just noticed that the case_1.day file (from run_phonon)contains the
> following  message:
> Start (  ) with lapw0 (40/20 to go)
> cycle 1 (  )    (40/20 to go)
>> lapw0
>> lapw1-c  (  )  segmentation fault
>> Stop error
> I would much appreciate any suggestions.
> Thank you in anticipation,
> Cheers,
> Chandrika
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Marco Schowalter"
> <schowalter at ifp.uni-bremen.de>
> Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 3:50 PM
> Subject: Re: [Wien] eigenvectors not generated in output1 after runphonon
>

>> Dear Chandrika,
>>
>> I think 5000 seems to be  reasonable for your machine, but I think that
>> your NUME is too small. Try to increase it to maybe 2000. And try again.
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Marco
>>

>> Chandrika wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Marco,
>>> Thanks for the reply!
>>> I tried with the same rkmax and kpoint you used (3 & 6 respectively). But
>>> again lapw stops after lapw0.
>>> My Wien version is WIEN.05.5.
>>> There are no other error messages.
>>> I used NMATMAX= 5000 and NUME = 500.
>>> It definitely looks like a size problem because the SiC 111 cell with 6
>>> nonequivalent atoms runs okay.
>>> What values should I give to NMATMAX & NUME?
>>> I have a 2GB RAM (P IV machine).
>>> Thank you for your help once again.
>>> Cheers
>>> Chandrika
>>>
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Marco Schowalter"
>>> <schowalter at ifp.uni-bremen.de>
>>> Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 2:28 PM
>>> Subject: Re: [Wien] eigenvectors not generated in output1 after runphonon

>> --
>> Dr. Marco Schowalter
>> Bureau M.4180
>> IFP - University Bremen
>> Otto-Hahn-Allee 1
>> 28359 Bremen
>> GERMANY
>> Tel: ++49 (0)421 218 3566
>> Fax: ++49 (0)421 218 7381
>> Email: schowalter at ifp.uni-bremen.de

Note: if you have an old email address for me, please note that "nwu" has
been changed to "northwestern".
Laurence Marks
MSE Rm 2036 Cook Hall
2220 N Campus Drive