[Wien] Antiferro calculation

Antoine Villesuzanne ville at icmcb-bordeaux.cnrs.fr
Wed Jan 4 16:47:09 CET 2006

The ground state will have the lowest total energy. However, you may have to perform LDA+U calculations in some cases (e.g. (late) transition metal oxides or f-elements) to get the actual (experimental) ground state.
To our rather limited experience, Wien2k without LDA+U gives the correct ground state (FM or AFM) in most cases. In the case of copper oxides and/or frustrated systems, the agreement with experiment is much more elusive.
If you find exactly the same energy for your FM and AFM calculations, it might be that both led to the same non-magnetic solution, or that the AFM calculation converged to the FM solution... Check carefully your outputs (:MMI...)
When the latter case happen, we either i) use runsp only, with the appropriate antiferromagnetic case.inst, or ii) use runafm for several iterations, then stop before the magnetic moments vanish, and complete convergence using runsp.

Antoine Villesuzanne
ICMCB-CNRS