[Wien] lapw2para very slow

Atta-fynn, Raymond attafynn at uta.edu
Sun Jul 23 03:30:40 CEST 2006

Dear Wien Users,

I'm running WIEn2k on a 16 node beowulf cluster with two CPUs per node.
All nodes have a common NFS.
When I run several parallel jobs (about 3 or 4 jobs at a time using
4 nodes per job), lapw1 scales almost linearly in parallel
but parallel lapw2 ( and sometimes lapwso) is way slower, compared to
a single node.

 For example, lapw2 takes about 45 seconds on
a singe node but for 4 nodes it can take as long as 15 minutes.

I should state that I submit the jobs via PBS so all processes
for a given job (lapw0, lapw1, lapw2 e.t.c.) are confined to
a particular set of nodes so jobs do not interfere.

I find this quite confusing.
I've run several cases and this fact is
consistently true. Is there any way that I can constrain lapw2
to run in serial mode whiles lapw1 runs in parallel?

Thanks

R. Atta-Fynn