[Wien] lapw2para very slow

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Jul 23 09:50:51 CEST 2006

Firstly, you have to find out whether it is a NFS problem as I would
expect. Check the "timing-lines" in case.dayfile carefully. It the
cpu-time still "normal", but the elapsed time very big (and the percentage
rate given near the end of the line very low ?
Or is the problem in "sumpara", a final (short) step which adds up the
parallel lapw2 results ?
Discuss with your sysadmin. On modern machines with 1Gb network, NFS
should be fast enough. Maybe you need more NFS daemons or a operating
system upgrade, since some Linux versions have quite slow/buggy NFS
(see the "NFS-bug" discussion on the mailing list).

Define a SCRATCH variable on the local nodes (eg. /tmp ), which of course
should NOT be a NFS directory. This will write
the vector and help files onto this scratch directory and thus reduce the
NFS traffic. However, for this case you have to make sure that the number
of k-points and processors are commensurable, i.e. for 20 k-points you can
only use 1,2,4,5 or 10 nodes,....