[Wien] LSDA+U on Yb compounds

Zsolt Rak rakzsolt at msu.edu
Wed Jul 26 20:12:30 CEST 2006

Hi Stefaan,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I followed your instructions to find out the
4f occupancy. Here are my results for YbAl3:

:PCS001: PARTIAL CHARGES SPHERE =  1 S,P,D,F
:QTL001: 1.0705 2.9374 0.3427 6.7838  -up
:QTL001: 1.0705 2.9374 0.3427 6.7838  -dn

:TRA001:  TRACE of UPUP MATRIX=   6.78385   0.00000
:TRA001:  TRACE of UPDN MATRIX=   0.00000   0.00000
:TRA001:  TRACE of DNDN MATRIX=   6.78385   0.00000

FERMI ENERGY=   0.54730 -from .outputtup
 0.54800    ...     0.94   6.7828 -up
 0.54800    ...     0.94   6.7828 -dn

 It seems that there are about 13.5 -13.6 electrons in  the 4f level,
thirteen of which should be below Femi energy and one partly occupied level
should be "pinned" at the Fermi level (correct me if I'm wrong!)- but all I
am geting are the filled states. I also want to mention that LSDA+U
calculation on a Ce compound gave one occupied state below fermi energy
(large,visible peak) and the rest of  the unoccupies states above EF.
It is also puzzeling to me that there is no difference between -up and -dn
states.
How can I "force" a divalent or trivalent solution?

Thanks again,
Zsolt