[Wien] LSDA+U on Yb compounds

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at fys.kuleuven.be
Wed Jul 26 20:25:33 CEST 2006

All of these three methods give the charge within the muffin tin
spere. Which sphere sizes are you using? I guess the 4f states are not
completely confined within the spheres, and your 6.78 corresponds to 7
electrons (a little bit of them being in the interstitial region). If
that is true, then you have divalent Yb with 14 electrons.

I never did it, but you can try to force trivalency by putting 13
electrons in the density matrices, converging with -orbc (density
matrices fixed), then release it and converge again with -orb -- and
now hoping that this solution will be kept. I'm curious whether that
will work. Has anybody different suggestions?

Stefaan