[Wien] Wien2k for AMD Athlon

Jeff Spirko spirko at Lehigh.EDU
Fri Jun 9 17:01:34 CEST 2006

In addition to making sure you use the 32-bit C compiler, if you
previously used a 64-bit compiler on Wien2k you may need to "make clean"
in several subdirectories to get rid of previously-compiled object files
or remove the offending object files so they get re-compiled.

-Jeff

Peter Blaha wrote:
> cputim.o is created from   cputim.o  and thus compiled with the C
> compiler.
> Aparently, you used a 64 bit C compiler (and want to link it with 32 bit
> code). Make sure that also the C compiler is 32 bit.
>

>> I'm trying to install Wien2k 6.03 on AMD Athlon 2600 (Suse Linux 10.0
>> x86_64) using a 32-bit version of Intel Fortran 9.0 and mkl 8.0.1.
>> I have already successfully installed the same version of Wien2k
>> on my Pentium 4 computer, so that on AMD Athlon I use the same
>> options for compilations:
>>
>> Compiler options:        -FR -mp1 -w -prec_div -pc80 -pad -ip -DINTEL_VML
>> Linker Flags:            $(FOPT) -L/opt/intel/mkl/8.0.1/lib/32
>>                          -static-libcxa -lpthread
>> Preprocessor flags       '-DParallel'
>> R_LIB (LAPACK+BLAS):     -lmkl_lapack -lmkl -lmkl_ia32 -lguide
>>
>> Although I don't have any problems on Pentium, on AMD not all programms
>> of Wien2k are successfully compiled. In particular, I cannot use
>> dstart,lapw0,lapwso,optic,qtl and number of other programs, where I get
>> the same kind of warning:
>> ld: warning: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `cputim.o' is
>> incompatible with i386 output
>>
>> It looks like something in file cputim.c which is attached below, is
>> incompatible with x86_64. I would be grateful if somebody could advise me
>> how to fix the problem in this file. By the way, I have also successfully
>> installed EM64t version of Wien2k on Opteron computers, but on AMD Athlon
>> I had a problem with static linking of libraries and finally decided to
>> install at least a 32-version of Wien2k. Nevertheless, even in this case
>> there are some incompatibilities between i386 and x86-64, although I use
>> 32bit-version of ifort.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Natalia Pavlenko
>>
>> --------------------------------------cputim.c----------------------
>> #include <sys/types.h>
>> #include <sys/times.h>
>> #include <stdio.h>
>>
>> cputim_(dsec)
>> double *dsec;
>> {
>>       struct tms buffer;
>>
>>       times(&buffer);
>>       *dsec = (double)buffer.tms_utime/100.0;
>> /*      fprintf(stderr,"inside cputim: %lf\n",dsec);*/
>> }

>> Dr. Natalia Pavlenko
>> Institute of Physics, University of Augsburg
>> Universitaetstr.1
>> D-86159 Augsburg Germany
>>
>> E-mail: pavlenko at mailaps.org
>>         natalia.pavlenko at physik.uni-augsburg.de

>                                       P.Blaha

Jeff Spirko   spirko at lehigh.edu   spirko at gmail.com   WD3V   |=>

The study of non-linear physics is like the study of non-elephant biology.