[Wien] Testing convergence with size for a surface

L. D. Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Wed Mar 15 14:12:18 CET 2006

I want to check the convergence of a surface calculation versus the slab
thickness. The obvious way is to calculate the difference
 	E_diff = E_slab2 - E_slab1 - n*E_bulk
where slab2 has n more layers than slab1. Unfortunately there is a problem
with this. For a conventional small cell bulk calculation, RKMAX is
rounded down (exact size depending upon the k-vector), so it's not
completely obvious what the RKMAX for the slabs should be and this can
make a big difference. I tried plotting E_bulk versus RKMAX and
interpolating, but I don't think I believe the results.

Has anyone worked through this in detail to find a viable method?

Note: if you have an old email address for me, please note that "nwu" has
been changed to "northwestern".
Laurence Marks
MSE Rm 2036 Cook Hall
2220 N Campus Drive