[Wien] RMT choice and cell size

Gerhard H Fecher fecher at uni-mainz.de
Wed Mar 22 17:31:38 CET 2006

I often try to start the optimization with the lowest lattice parameter
(volume)  that I like to have for the E(V) dependence. Then its easily
checked in a first initialization if the rmts are too big.
However, sometimes one has to take care that small rmts may lead to a "close
to ghostband" situation if you increase the lattice parameter, as the
interstitial takes more and more volume one may need more and more plane
waves. Just to say it in flapsy words.

For complex ferromagnetic materials you may also check whether the energy
differences are caused by changes between ferri and ferro magnetic order of
different atoms. It appears that the convergence is sometimes running into a
"wrong" minimum. The "correct" dependence may then depend critically on your
settings in the .inst file. Most oftenly I had to play arround with the
initial settings to find satisfactory results.
I usually name it experimental theory.

Ciao
Gerhard