[Wien] "Best" RMT for a given total matrix size

L. D. Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Tue May 9 01:32:27 CEST 2006

I often run into problems where it is not possible to run as large an
RKMAX as I would like, so the issue is how to choose the "best" RMT for a
given case. I would like to suggest an idea, and others can either give
alternative suggestions and/or point out my error.

The concept is this. For a fixed matrix size (by adjusting RKMAX
appropriately), run a series of small calculations (e.g. a simple bulk
material) varying the RMT's to find the lowest energy. For instance, with
a binary AB run with RMT_B=constant-RMT_A with some steps around the
values given by setrmt to find the lowest energy. The results appear to be
reasonable, for instance with TiO2 this gives
 	RMT_Ti = RMT_O + 0.18

The rationalization is that in the spirit of the variational principle,
the best RMT combination for a given size should give the lowest
energy......

Note: if you have an old email address for me, please note that "nwu" has
been changed to "northwestern".
Laurence Marks
MSE Rm 2036 Cook Hall
2225 N Campus Drive