[Wien] How to use wien2k to calculate defect formation energy?

Ricardo Faccio rfaccio at fq.edu.uy
Thu May 25 02:52:57 CEST 2006

Hi
I agree what Steffan and Oleg said related to scaling a "defect free" cell
in order to compare the total energy with a supercell with defects.
On the other hand, you have to take into account the fact that in a
supercell (depending on the symmetry) you could have more degree of freedom
due to the presence of inequivalent atoms. If you compare the total energy
from a scaled defect free cell with a defect free supercell (with more
inequivalent atoms than the original one) you will find small differences.
So you have to take into account the symmetry of your cells.
Regards
Ricardo
-----   Ing. Quím. Ricardo Faccio

Mail: Cryssmat-Lab., Cátedra de Física, DETEMA
Facultad de Química, Universidad de la República
     Av. Gral. Flores 2124, C.C. 1157
     C.P. 11800, Montevideo, Uruguay.
E-mail: rfaccio at fq.edu.uy
Phone: 598 2 9241860 Int. 109