[Wien] weird parallel problem

Martin Kroeker martin at ruby.chemie.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Nov 16 18:46:14 CET 2006

>Sorry, but I have to disagree.
>
>Maybe it was never mentioned, but the "NFS-bug" problems NEVER appeared
>with the ifc7 executables (on our sites), so it is specific to ifort AND
>some Linux-Kernel version.

I stand corrected. SuSe 9.2 was using kernel 2.6.8, and postings
in the archive implicate 2.6.x before November 2005 (i.e. x < 14).
Assuming it is/was a client bug, some "interesting" fixes for "lseek"
operations apparently went into 2.6.12 (cf.
http://client.linux-nfs.org/Linux-2.6.x/2.6.12-rc2/linux-2.6.12-37-file_add_lseek.dif).
It is not clear to me whether these are also fixed in the latest kernel rpm
update for 9.2 (2.6.8-24.25), though this at least mentions a "nfs cache
consistency bug" fixed in october 2005).
I cannot claim to have noticed such problems in several SuSE 9.2 nfs
networks, but then none of them was used for distributed wien calculations
or anything else involving ifort9.
Dr. Martin Kroeker            martin at ruby.chemie.uni-freiburg.de
c/o Prof.Dr. Caroline Roehr
Institut fuer Anorganische und Analytische Chemie der Universitaet Freiburg