[Wien] orbital moment

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at fys.kuleuven.be
Wed Nov 29 12:41:57 CET 2006

>We could extract the orbital moment for our case and after calculating the
>( orbital moment / spin moment ) ratio we found that it is almost half
>of the corresponding experimental value. Would you (or others) kindly
>tell me is there any factor of 2 hidden in the orbital moment.

For transition metals, it is rather common that LDA/GGA severely
underestimate the orbital moment. For instance, for bcc Fe LDA finds
about 0.04 mu_B instead of the experimental 0.08 mu_B. There is no
general recipe yet how to improve on that. An ad hoc solution is the
orbital polarization method (see one of the 3 options of the ORB
package), but this is merely 'fitting' the orbital moment. Another
solution is described in P. Novak, PRB 67 (2003) 140403. Depending on
your system, LDA+U could help as well.

Stefaan