[Wien] DOS over certain volume in the BZ

Lukasz Plucinski pluto at physics.ucdavis.edu
Thu Oct 5 00:59:46 CEST 2006

Dear WIEN users,

Please see my initial question below.

Modifying tetra will be probably the last resort for me.

I would like to construct a new case.klist file using my own script,
being able to precisely control which points in the BZ are taken into
account. I understand that case.klist file contains weights for optimal
sampling of the zone using less k-points, however, I am interested in
simple cases and the number of k-points is not an issue, I could do very
dense sampling and constant weight for all points.

Also sometimes my BZ volume would be on the boundary between the first
and second BZ thus I am not really interested to work in the IBZ.

I wonder if (after running the scf cycle) I could create a new
case.klist_band file (containing dense, uniform mesh of points in the
interesting volume of BZ, e.g. sphere, cube, or cylinder), and then run

x lapw1 -band
x lapw2 -qtl -band
x tetra

to get the DOS of this volume ? Does this makes sense ?

Regards,

Lukasz

Peter Blaha wrote:

Yes, you can run first an scf cycle with a medium k-mesh, then run   x
kfen and create a dense mesh and continue just with lapw2, 2,tetra

However, you will have to modify tetra to sum the  DOS only over
certain tetrahedra (covering the volume you are interested in).