[Wien] DOS over certain volume in the BZ

ebruno@unime.it ebruno at unime.it
Wed Oct 11 21:02:48 CEST 2006

Dear Lucasz,
there are many cases in which the k-space sampling can be crucial. In
the past, Beniamino Ginatempo and I dealt with the problem and set up
a lot of staff based on adaptive grids for Brillouin zone integration
that we have used within the multiple scattering theory. The idea
there was to fix a desidered accuracy,  start from an initial grid and
add new points where the variations of the integrand are too sharp. At
the end you use exactly as many k-points as you need to achieve your
accuracy goal.

The paper in which the algorithms have been described is
E. Bruno and B. Ginatempo Phys. Rev. B 55, 12946(1997)

If you like, you can reply at my e-mail that is given below.

Best wishes

Ezio

Professor Ezio Bruno
Dipartimento di Fisica
Universita' di Messina
Salita Sperone 31
98166 Messina
phone +39 090 676 5233
e-mail ebruno at unime.it
home page: http://ww2.unime.it/metallicalloys/bruno/

--------------000903030907090104000307

Dear WIEN users,

Please see my initial question below.

Modifying tetra will be probably the last resort for me.

I would like to construct a new case.klist file using my own script,
being able to precisely control which points in the BZ are taken into
account. I understand that case.klist file contains weights for optimal
sampling of the zone using less k-points, however, I am interested in
simple cases and the number of k-points is not an issue, I could do very
dense sampling and constant weight for all points.

Also sometimes my BZ volume would be on the boundary between the first
and second BZ thus I am not really interested to work in the IBZ.

I wonder if (after running the scf cycle) I could create a new
case.klist_band file (containing dense, uniform mesh of points in the
interesting volume of BZ, e.g. sphere, cube, or cylinder), and then run

x lapw1 -band
x lapw2 -qtl -band
x tetra

to get the DOS of this volume ? Does this makes sense ?

Regards,

Lukasz

Peter Blaha wrote:

Yes, you can run first an scf cycle with a medium k-mesh, then run   x
kfen and create a dense mesh and continue just with lapw2, 2,tetra

However, you will have to modify tetra to sum the  DOS only over
certain tetrahedra (covering the volume you are interested in).

--------------000903030907090104000307

<head>
</head>
 style="font-family: -moz-fixed; font-size: 13px;" lang="x-western">Dear
WIEN users,<br>
Please see my initial question below.<br>
Modifying tetra will be probably the last resort for me.<br>
I would like to construct a new case.klist file using my own script,
being able to precisely control which points in the BZ are taken into
account. I understand that case.klist file contains weights for optimal
sampling of the zone using less k-points, however, I am interested in
simple cases and the number of k-points is not an issue, I could do
very dense sampling and constant weight for all points.<br>
Also sometimes my BZ volume would be on the boundary between the first
and second BZ thus I am not really interested to work in the IBZ.<br>
I wonder if (after running the scf cycle) I could create a new
case.klist_band file (containing dense, uniform mesh of points in the
interesting volume of BZ, e.g. sphere, cube, or cylinder), and then run
to get the DOS of this volume ? Does this makes sense ?<br>
Regards,<br>
Lukasz<br>
<pre wrap="">Peter Blaha wrote:

Yes, you can run first an scf cycle with a medium k-mesh, then run   x
kfen and create a dense mesh and continue just with lapw2, 2,tetra

However, you will have to modify tetra to sum the  DOS only over
certain tetrahedra (covering the volume you are interested in).

</pre>
    </pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->
</pre>