[Wien] Properties of corresponding atoms in afm calculations

Ulrich Keßler ukessler at uni-bonn.de
Wed Sep 6 17:24:41 CEST 2006

Dear WIEN2k users,

when calculating an antiferromagnetic compound using the runafm_lapw
script, the symmetry relations between the antiferromagnetic atoms is
exploited (they share the same site in the ferromagnetic supergroup).
Thus I would expect that all properties of the corresponding atoms
should be the same, especially the forces. However, I find that the
forces of corresponding atoms tend to diverge in the course of an
afm-SCF-cycle (not much, but significantly). Even more so when
performing a minimization of positions.

Is the reason some rounding error?
Is this serious? If yes, what could be done about it?

Any comments are appreciated. Thank you.

Ulrich Keßler

Dr. Ulrich Keßler
Institut für Anorganische Chemie
Universität Bonn