[Wien] lapw0_mpi for dual cores

Gerhard Fecher fecher at uni-mainz.de
Sat Sep 9 14:32:24 CEST 2006

I forgot to mention OMP_NUM_THREADS=2 works only for paralellised parts of the
program, that is usually those that make excessive use of the mkl that has already
parallel routines.

Thanks for that test, I wonder that the speed increases that few, I have other band structure programs
that gain up to 30% speed. I did not use -parallel up to now, because I do oftenly quasi-parallel runs by hand. For example
if optimizing a small cell, I do one run for even (-4%,-2,0, etc) changes and another one at the same time for odd changes
of the lattice parameter (-3%,-1, etc). Seems, this makes optimal use of the deadtime of the second CPU. But indeed, it may be a bad idea if using large systems.

I think Peter will know best how and where to gain speed.

Ciao
Gerhard