[Wien] Properties of corresponding atoms in afm calculations

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Sep 11 15:33:15 CEST 2006

Hi,

> runafm seems not to be the problem. After an afm-cycle runsp does not
> change anything significantly.

What about the forces after runsp ? Do they become "equivalent" or stay
different as obtained from runafm ?

What does "different forces" mean ? Could that be "numerical noise"
(like forces of +20 and +21), or is it more like +20 and +10 ??

In the "noise" case, your procedure should be fine (eventually you may need
better scf-convergence ?), otherwise something more
serious may happen.

Please, also check carefully if the moments are really AF, or if you run
into an ferrimagnetic solution.

A typical situation of the latter would be "bcc Mn", which is NOT
antiferromagnetic, but the two Mn atoms get a slightly different moment.
In such a situation runafm and runsp will naturally lead to differences.