[Wien] Properties of corresponding atoms in afm calculations

Ulrich Keßler ukessler at uni-bonn.de
Wed Sep 13 10:04:05 CEST 2006

Hi,
I checked the points you made.

Peter Blaha wrote:

>Hi,
>

>>runafm seems not to be the problem. After an afm-cycle runsp does not
>>change anything significantly.
>>

>What about the forces after runsp ? Do they become "equivalent" or stay
>different as obtained from runafm ?

The forces stay different at similar values.

>What does "different forces" mean ? Could that be "numerical noise"
>(like forces of +20 and +21), or is it more like +20 and +10 ??

You may call it "numerical noise" (it's like 10.276 vs. 10.400 etc.).
But in my opinion this must not happen in an afm calculation since the
down electrons are identical to the up electrons (by clmcopy). Thus
everything that happens on atom A must be _exactly_ the same on atom A'
(maybe with different sign, but same absolute value).
The different forces are quite inconvenient when doing a minimization as
pointed out before.

>In the "noise" case, your procedure should be fine (eventually you may need
>better scf-convergence ?), otherwise something more
>serious may happen.

I think the scf-convergence is okay (-ec 0.00001 -cc 0.00001). By the
way this has no influence on the afm argument that properties of
corresponding atoms should be the same.

>Please, also check carefully if the moments are really AF, or if you run
>into an ferrimagnetic solution.
>

>A typical situation of the latter would be "bcc Mn", which is NOT
>antiferromagnetic, but the two Mn atoms get a slightly different moment.
>In such a situation runafm and runsp will naturally lead to differences.

runsp leads to the same total magnetic moment of 0.00000 as runafm. So I
think the compound should be really antiferromagnetic.

Has anybody else observed this problem? If not I have to check again my
inputs (although I did it now about five times).

Any further suggestions/comments are appreciated.
Thank you!

Ulrich Keßler