[Wien] Properties of corresponding atoms in afm calculations

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Sep 13 21:14:37 CEST 2006

This is interesting. It would be rather trivial to use "symmetry" to
constrain the core-results, but I never did that since it did not seem
necessary. Please send case.struct and a complete scf file to my private
email.

> :FCOxxx are exactly the same in the first scf-cycle except for one pair
> of atoms (17.875 vs. 17.877). I have no idea why these values differ (I
> checked the struct-file again). In the course of the scf-cycles the
> :FCOxxx diverge for all corresponding atoms, e. g. 71.021 vs. 71.779. It
> is remarkable that the different values change between the corresponding
> atoms from one cycle to the next!

> By the way: How could the potential be different when using the symmetry
> of the supergroup in constructing the case.struct etc.?

No, the symmetry of the supergroup is NOT used in constructing
case.struct. It has of course the lower symmetry of the subgroup.

> I couldn't check this because :FVAxxx and :FSUxxx are not written to the
> scf-file, and scf2-files are not saved by save_lapw. But I will run a
> test and check it.

:FVAxxx is written only in the last iteration of the scf cycle, when you
use -fc XX for convergence.