[Wien] Impurity sites in supercell

Shu Miao shu at caltech.edu
Tue Sep 19 14:05:17 CEST 2006

Dear Stefaan
I think this is a general issue related to multiplicity. Assuming atom
A has N multiplicity with coordinate (x,y,z) in the original cell, there
will be L A atoms in the LxLxL supercell and each has N multiplicity with
coordinates (x+n1*a,y+n2*b,z+n3*c), where a,b and c are the original
lattice parameters and n1,n2 and n3 are integers less than L. In the
StructGen template, only the first one among the N positions can be edited
and all others are changed automatically be symmetry operations. So a
localized defect cluster is created in stead of a single defect. This will
happen as long as atom A has a multiplicity greater than 1.
What I am doing now is first to build a P type cell and put a label on
every position so that multiplicity is 1. Then make change on the position
as I want. Finally, remove all the labels on other positions and run
init_lapw to let Wien2k to find out the remaining symmetry. My case
contains 28 positions, it is a kind of pain to build the cell. For more
complex cases, this way is not very practical.

Shu Miao