[Wien] The usage of low values RmtKmax for ELNES simulation.

Jorissen Kevin kevin.jorissen at ua.ac.be
Mon Sep 25 20:24:30 CEST 2006

Dear Mino Yang,

RmtKmax is a parameter that determines the quality of the basis set.  How good a basis set you really need, depends on the physical quantity that you want to calculate.

EELS goes pretty much like the DOS - there can be tiny features that keep shifting around a bit as you increase rmtkmax to high values, but the main features are usually already there at fairly low rmtkmax.  Some of the fine details will get washed out by broadening (core hole, spectrometer) anyway.

I would first calculate EELS for various values of rkmax, high enough that the spectrum is (after broadening) pretty much converged.  Then, I'd decide which spectrum is "good enough" for me.  Then, I'd use that rkmax value for other calculations I want to do on the same material.  (Careful : if you start another calculation and change the Rmt value, this trick won't work!)

Let us know if you have more questions,
good luck!

Kevin Jorissen

Kevin Jorissen