[Wien] Changes in OPTIC

Robertson Burgess Robertson.Burgess at newcastle.edu.au
Thu Apr 26 05:57:58 CEST 2007

Dear Wien Users,

I'm using Wien to model plasmon energies in slabs of Aluminium of vaying
thickness, comparing the eloss for the dielectric function both parallel
to the slab surface and perpendicular. I converged the SCF cycles and
ran OPTIC, JOINT and KRAM using Wien2k 7.0 but the energies I observed
were not what I expected, nor were they what I observed in a preliminary
calculation using an older version of Wien. Since the Altix cluster I
was using also had Wien2k 5.4 installed, using the converged files from
7.0, I ran lapw1, lapw2 -fermi, OPTIC, JOINT and KRAM using Wien2k 5.4.
The energies I observed in this case were substantially different to
those observed using Wien2k 7.0.
I realise one source of this could be using 7.0 for the SCF cycle, then
5.4 for much of the optic calculations.
Does anyone know what changed in OPTIC to make the plasmon energies so
different, and why the changes occured? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Bob Burgess,
University of Newcastle