[Wien] local rotation matrix - followup question on triclinic systems

Cormac McGuinness cmcguin at tcd.ie
Tue Aug 14 01:36:28 CEST 2007

Dear all

I have a followup question regarding the local rotation matrix and global and
local coordinates as applied to triclinic unit cells, for instance many organic
molecular solids (e.g pentacene), though the same question could apply to
complex metal oxides. (note the question is not specifally about pentacene)

In the case of a triclinic crystal where every inequivalent site has a
pointgroup symmetry of 1, the calculation then gives the identity matrix as the
local rotation matrix for each and every inequivalent site. Should one interpret
the direction of the x, y, and z projected axes of the orbitals as being the
same for all of the sites ?

If so then is the x direction parallel to the crystal axis a ?
What then determines how y and z are oriented as the crystal axes a,b,c are not
orthonormal ? How should these directions be interpreted in this case.

I ask as for planar pi-conjugated organic molecules the most important axis to
distinguish is that perpendicular to the plane of the molecule. How can I know
for sure which direction in terms of the physical crystal structure is
associated with x, y and z in a triclinic system ?

If I want to replace this definition of x,y,z, can I simply rerun with my own
rotation matrix in place of each instance of the identity matrix, say to ensure
that one of x,y,z is perpendicular to the plane of the molecule, in the manner
described previously ?

Yours gratefully

Cormac

--
Dr. Cormac McGuinness, Lecturer, School of Physics, Trinity College Dublin.
Phone: +353 1 8963547    Fax: +353 1 6711759    Office: SNIAM 3.17