[Wien] local rotation matrix - followup question on triclinic systems

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Aug 14 06:50:38 CEST 2007

Have a look into SRC_nn/dirlat.f
BR2 defines the bravais matrix and gives the relation between carthesian
coordinates and crystal axes. For P1 it is:
       BR2(1,1)=1.0d0*sin(gamma0)*sin(beta1)
       BR2(1,2)=1.0d0*cos(gamma0)*sin(beta1)
       BR2(1,3)=1.0d0*cos(beta1)
       BR2(2,1)=0.0d0
       BR2(2,2)=1.0d0*sin(alpha1)
       BR2(2,3)=1.0d0*cos(alpha1)
       BR2(3,1)=0.0d0
       BR2(3,2)=0.0d0
       BR2(3,3)=1.0d0
So the c-axis points into z.
Yes, this coordinate system is the same for all atoms.
Yes, for P1 symmetry you can use any local rotation matrix you like.