[Wien] spin polarization of valence states

Pavel Novak novakp at fzu.cz
Wed Dec 12 07:35:02 CET 2007

Dear Oleg,

in order to see the spin polarized bands the time inversion symmetry must
be broken. In your case time inversion is broken by the incoming spin
polarized electron. Consequently, if you wish to have spin polarized bands
the interaction of the spin of incoming electron with the spin and orbital
momenta of valence electrons must be included in calculation. Perhaps you
can approximate this interaction by an effective field - this possibility
is included in WIEN2k.

Pavel

Dr. Pavel Novak
Department of Magnetism and Superconductivity
Institute of Physics AS CR
Cukrovarnicka 10, 162 53 Praha 6, Czech Republic
tel: +420 2 20 318 532
e-mail: novakp at fzu.cz