[Wien] MPI_COMM_DUP function

Nobuaki Igarashi igarashi at imr.edu
Tue Dec 18 10:26:30 CET 2007

Dear Wien2k users,

I use WIEN2k version 07.3 on HITACHI SR11000 which is AIX computer.
When I run WIEN2k MPI version using IBM MPI with some data, it would be
stopped because MPI_COMM_DUP function is called many times.

This problem occurs in lapw1,
SRC_lapw1/modules.F
  +102            CALL SL_INIT(ICTXT, NPROW,npcol)

This function is called many times.
When the call frequency exceeds the threshold, the problem occurs with following error message.
ERROR: 0032-160 Too many communicators  (2046) in MPI_Comm_dup, task 3
ERROR: 0032-160 Too many communicators  (2046) in MPI_Comm_dup, task 7

The IBM manual said as follows.
"0032-160 Too many communicators (number) in string, task number
Explanation: MPI is unable to create a new communicator because the maximum number of simultaneous communicators would be exceeded.
User Response: Be sure to free unneeded communicators with MPI_Comm_free so that they can be reused."

SL_INIT is ScaLAPACK tools routine. This calls MPI_COMM_DUP.
SL_INIT → BLACS_GRIDINIT → blacs_gridmap_ → BI_MPI_Comm_dup(MPI_COMM_DUP)

Regards,
N.Igarashi