[Wien] How to generate the C19 structure (alpha-Sm)

Claudio Cazorla Silva c.silva at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Dec 18 11:54:45 CET 2007

> Hello,
>
> I think that (0 0 2/9) are coordinates in hexagonal setting. You want
> them in rhombohedral setting, so try transforming them to (2/9 2/9 2/9)
> - this is a special position generating 2 atoms in the rhombohedral
> cell, i.e. 6 atoms in the hexagonal cell. Together with the atom at the
> zero point, this delivers a total of 3 atoms per rhombohedral cell or 9
> atoms per hexagonal cell. Is that the number of atoms that you expect
> per cell?
> With this, I get each atom twelve-fold coordinated with an interatomic
> distance of 3 Å when using a = 3 Å and c = 22 Å as approximate values
> for the lattice parameters. I am not too familiar with the type of
> structure you are investigating, but as it is derived from ccp- and
> hcp-structures, I think that this should be ok.
>
> Best regards
> Michael

Dear Michael,
thank very much for your very useful advices and comments.
Certainly, the coordinates I sent in my previous message are in
hexagonal setting so the basis vectors are
the ones to transform to rhombohedral. With your advice, (0,0,2/9) -->
(2/9,2/9,2/9),
the group symmetry detected by 'sgroup' is the correct (166 R_3m), and
in fact the rhombohedral
cell must contain 3 atoms.  Also each atom must be twelve-fold coordinated.
Best wishes,

Claudio Cazorla Silva