[Wien] Formation energy of a deffective lattice

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at fys.kuleuven.be
Mon Feb 19 09:25:21 CET 2007

This reminds me to a related issue on which I never found a satisfying
answer. Perhaps someone has ideas or references? The equation given by
Ricardo Faccio applies to a defect that is created by a previously
isolated atom that gets incorporated into the bulk and stays there. But
what if you want to *compare* the formation energy of such a case with
the formation energy of a case where the previously isolated atom
*replaces* a bulk atom? The best I can think about is to add a dummy
isolated bulk atom in the equation, to have the same number of atoms at
either side of the minus sign:

E(defect_formation)=[E(defective)+E(isolated bulk atom)] -
[E(bulk)+E(isolated_impurity_atom)]

But I'm not sure this is really correct. For instance, can this be
related in some way to the chemical potential? I bet many people have
thought about this before. If anyone has recipes or references, I'm
interested to hear them.

Stefaan