[Wien] Formation energy of a deffective lattice

Muhammad Huda nuhura at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 19 19:22:25 CET 2007

Hi Stefaan,

There are several references where formation energy
definitions are explained in details, and also how to
calculate them with first principle theories:

1. S.-H. Wei, Computaional Mat. Sci., vol. 30, pp 337,
2004.
2. S. B. Zhang, J. Phys.:Condens. Matter, vol. 14, pp
R881, 2002.
3. C. G. Van de Walle and J. Neugedauer, J. App. Phys.
vol. 95, pp 3851, 2004.

It should be clear from the above papers that atomic
and electronic chemical potentials are needed to
correctly evaluate the formation energies. Otherwise
one cannot compare formation energy of one type of
defect with others. Thanks,

Muhammad Huda

--- Stefaan Cottenier