[Wien] swap

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at fys.kuleuven.be
Wed Jan 3 09:17:38 CET 2007

> I have a problem. My computer has 4Gb memory, cpu dual core 2.8 and 8
> Gb swap space.
> but when scf or dstart are running , swap space not used

Be happy! If you really have to use the swap space, performance goes
down with more than a factor of 10.

> and only 1 Gb memory is used.
> how can i improve this.

Again, be happy. The amount of memory used is determined by your problem
size (number of atoms, symmetry, size of basis set,... all summarized in
the matrix size to be found at the :RKM label in case.scf). If your
problem is small enough, you do not need more than 1 Gb. In your case,
you are (as far as memory is concerned) safe to move to harder problems
later on.

Stefaan