[Wien] Hardware Benchmarks for lapw1c

Alexander Shaposhnikov shaposh at isp.nsc.ru
Fri Jan 26 11:47:08 CET 2007

No, export USE_REMOTE=0 does not work either.
I think i have to recompile without mpi support.

This is very bad, as using BLAS-level parallelism i can
only get no more than 100% speedup.

I have tested PWScf (pw.x and cp.x), cpmd, and NWChem  codes on this machine.
The Car-Parinello simulation jobs (cpmd, cp.x) seems to have the lowest
parallel  speedup, as low as 2.5-3 times. Pw.x and nwchem jobs have 3X-5X
parallel speedup. All jobs with 1 k-pont  only ("fine-grained parallelism").

I have also compared  this machine (2 Quad-core cpus, 8cores) with quad
Itanium2 1.5GHz (4 CPUS).
Xeon workstation is 70%-100% faster in MPI jobs  (2.5-3X faster in synthetic
tests). The latter is also several times less expensive. Itanium seems to
have very high efficiency, but this cant help to overcome low peak
floating-point performance (24Gigaflops only for the above-mentioned Quad
Itanium2).

Best Regards,
Alexander Shaposhnikov