[Wien] Fractional occupancies

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at fys.kuleuven.be
Mon Jan 29 15:23:57 CET 2007

Pretty hopeless, I'm afraid. Wien cannot deal with fractional
occupancies, it needs real atoms at every site. A correct solution that
would need way too much calculations is to take a rather large
supercell, and to make all possible configurations of atoms that are
allowed within your constraints. Then average your EFG over all these
possibilities. For sure your supercell will need to be too large and the
number of configurations accordingly immense to be of practical use.

There is a possibility to make the 'virtual crystal approximation' by
giving fractional Z-values as input, but its accuracy is doubtfull (even
more for EFG's). See the mailing list archive.

We have been put for a similar problem some time ago (see PRB 74 (2006)
184108), and found it insoluable for EFG's. For Mossbauer isomer shifts,
we could deal with it, however.

Stefaan