[Wien] Version 7.1 - Charged supercells

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Tue Jan 30 14:36:52 CET 2007

On 1/30/07, E B Lombardi <lombaeb at science.unisa.ac.za> wrote:
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> I would be very interested if the details could be included on the
> Wien2k web page.
> Do you have any suggestions for determining V_0(Q)?

I think the only way you can get it is by trying to establish a
reference for something like a deep core level or (perhaps) the
VCOUL-ZERO within the RMT. You will need to do computer experiments to
try and determine a good way, and not rely upon what I say (which may
be wrong because not everything has been tested).

> Presumably the Madelung correction must still be added to the total
> energy provided by Wien2k?

I suspect that one does not need an additional Madelung correction,
but I might be wrong. This needs to be verified by computer
experiments.

> The corrections that converge as O(L^-1) and O(L^-3) discussed in the
> literature - are they included in the -Q*V_0(Q)/2 term or are they
> included in the new Wien2k E-tot?

Again, I think most of these are included in -Q*V_0(Q)/2. No
correction terms are built into the new Wien2k E-tot.

> I presume old charged calculations should be rerun from scratch, and not
> just running additional SCF cycles  to convergence with the new version?
> Is there any reason to doubt geometry optimization of charged supercells
> from previous versions of Wien2k?

Certainly not! I would restart the old calculations with a small
mixing term (since I've found that charged cells tend to be
non-convex). The geometry optimization may be a bit different, I think
you need to test this.